Current Giveaways

Current Giveaways
More coming soon!

Monday, December 8, 2014

[Review] We Should Hangout Sometime by Josh Sundquist



Title: We Should Hang Out Sometime
Author: Josh Sundquist [ Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Website | YouTube ]
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Hachette
Genre: Young Adult Nonfiction - Autobiography, Humor
Release Date: December 23, 2014
Source: ARC provided by publisher, opinions are honest and my own. – review policy here.


A bright, poignant, and deeply funny autobiographical account of coming of age as an amputee cancer survivor, from Josh Sundquist: Paralympic ski racer, YouTube star, and motivational speaker.

Josh Sundquist only ever had one girlfriend.
For twenty-three hours.
In eighth grade.

Why was Josh still single? To find out, he tracked down the girls he had tried to date and asked them straight up: What went wrong?

The results of Josh's semi-scientific, wholly hilarious investigation are captured here. From a disastrous Putt-Putt date involving a backward prosthetic foot, to his introduction to CFD (Close Fast Dancing), to a misguided "grand gesture" at a Miss America pageant, this story is about looking for love--or at least a girlfriend--in all the wrong places.  - via Goodreads


This is an honest and hilarious voice
Joshua has an amazingly honest and hilarious voice which had me giggling and rolling from story to story. I was laughing so hard I had to read sections aloud to everyone in the room. :p

Don't worry they laughed to. A few things I discovered while laughing... we're all a little awkward, sometimes you really do have to take a chance, and dating is weird at any age. Also, apparently there is a term for "the talk". 

If only love was made of charts and Venn diagrams
The book format does two things that I loved... it sets a great pace further emphasizing the science digest of why these encounters never worked out and it makes each section go by sooo quickly! Almost too quickly. When I got to the end I was sad that there were no more tales to tell after I sped through the pages.

Self reflection is healing...
There's no doubt that Joshua's adventures are hilarious but it's through all of his dating attempts I learned something about myself as well. Not in regards to dating but living with a disability and still moving forward. Self love is important folks. 

Recommended for teens and adults who heart 80s teen romance movies or How I Met Your Mother. Freeze frames and camera narration are a bonus.

3.5 Stars – Because you've been there, now you can laugh about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment